Visa Help



What is it and who is eligible?
First working holiday visa
The 417 Visa is for young people who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to one year. You may qualify for this visa if you:
● are at least 17 but not yet 31 years of age
● do not have a dependent child accompanying you at any time during your stay in Australia
● have a passport from an eligible country

What does it allow me to do?
● stay in Australia for up to 12 months
● work in Australia, usually for up to six months with each employer
● study for up to four months
● leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.
What if I want to stay longer?
Second working holiday visa
You may also qualify for a second year visa if you spend time (a total of 88 days) working in designated regional parts of Australia. You may qualify for this visa if you meet the above criteria AND:
● have completed 88 days of specified work in regional Australia while on your first working holiday (417) visa (there is no requirement to do further specified work on the second visa)
● not have previously entered Australia on a work and holiday (462) visa
● be aged between 18 and 30 years at the time of applying
● be applying no more than 12 months before you intend to travel to Australia, if applying from outside Australia

Which countries are eligible?
● Belgium
● Canada
● Republic of Cyprus
● Denmark
● Estonia
● Finland
● France
● Germany
● Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
● Republic of Ireland
● Italy
● Japan
● Republic of Korea
● Malta
● Netherlands
● Norway
● Sweden
● Taiwan
● United Kingdom
What kind of work qualifies me for the 2nd year visa?
For a list of specified work visas click on the ‘visa applicants’ tab and then ‘specified work’ at the following link:
What regions are suitable for this work?
For a list of specified regions for the second working holiday visa click on the ‘visa applicants’ tab and then on ‘regional areas’ at the following link:
How to do I calculate specified work?

● ‘Three months’ means three ‘calendar’ months or 88 days. Work can be either:
○ in one block with one business
○ in separate blocks with one business or a number of businesses. Blocks of work may be in different kinds of specified work
● Full time workers may include weekends in calculating the number of days worked
● Applicants who work part time or on a casual basis can only count the full days actually worked. The shortest period that can be counted is one day of full time work (for any given industry)
● Full time workers can count sick days only during periods where they were in paid employment and entitled to sick leave or covered by a workers compensation scheme. In these situations, supporting evidence must be provided by the employer
● Applicants who were prevented from obtaining employment because of injury or seasonal circumstances cannot count any time they were unable to work towards the three month period. For example: Rain delays interrupting harvest activities

Please note: the above is general advice and is subject to change in laws and restrictions in Australia. For full conditions about this type of visa and information about work in regional areas, see the Government’s Immigration and Border Protection website.

How do I provide evidence of specified work?
The Department of Immigration may contact you to confirm you meet the specified work requirement, and may request evidence that the actual work was undertaken in regional Australia. Acceptable evidence of specified work (completed while on your first Working Holiday visa) includes either:
● original or certified copies of payslips, group certificates, payment summaries, tax returns or employer references
● or, a completed employment verification form


Can I work on a student visa?
International students in Australia on a valid student visa can work for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session, and there is no limit on the number of hours an international student can work during recognised school vacations. Click here [link] to get additional information on work conditions for student visa holders.

This is just a guide!

Please note, these FAQs are intended to be a helpful guide. We are not Australian immigration experts and are not qualified to give advice in this area. If you do require assistance with visas or migration, or for answers to other questions about obtaining an Australian visa, go to the Australian government’s visa and immigration website.